The Power Of Encouragement explains how words have the power to change lives
In this 40 minute DVD, Pastor Russell Gay looks at what "encouragement" or "edifying" means. Working on the principal that "we are our brother's keeper", he explains in detail, using relevant scriptures, why we need encouragement in the church and when and how we can all use it to help those around us.
God knows Man. He knows the power of words. They can tear down and they can build up. He has left us with many helpful instructions for using our tongues wisely.
The Power of Encouragement looks at the following helpful topics...
- The Dispositions of Communication, where speaking adult to adult provides the most effective communication and encouragement.
- What types of encouragement may be required? For new people or existing church members with various needs.
- Preparing for helping others. We are in a "helping profession".
- Encouragement can require positive ongoing action, not just words.
- Things not to say when helping others.
- 21st Century addictions. There are many, some seemingly more acceptable than others within the church.
- 6 Golden Rules of Face to Face Encouragement.
- Seek peace not controversy - with very helpful hints on how to do this.
There is a suggested group activity around scenarios found in the workbook.
Following the activity, you'll find an excellent Encouragement Checklist for evaluating the effectiveness of your efforts to encourage.
The DVD also includes 5 scenarios acted out with "how not to" and "how to" examples for each one. These cover:
- A new person's first meeting
- New Christian overcoming stress and addiction
- Problems and absence from fellowship
- Sickness and loneliness
- Return of the prodigal son
These realistic role plays provide great food for thought and discussion in the group situation.